World of Color inside Disney California Adventure is a fantastic colorful water show with jets, lasers and pyrotechnics that happens nightly. This MUST SEE show happens every day and sometimes twice! We can’t wait for it to return on April 22nd. Lots of entertainment is returning for more on that head over to this post. Check the Disney app for showtimes when you’re in the park. You can also find the times 45 days before your visit on the Disneyland website calendar.
How to get a spot to watch World of Color
An all new virtual queue system through the Disneyland app is how we will now get preferred viewing spots in Paradise Gardens Park for World of Color. Here are the steps to follow:
- Guests with a valid ticket and theme park reservation for the same day may be able to join the virtual queue in the Disneyland app beginning at 12:00 PM (noon), subject to availability.
- To access the virtual queue, Guests must have entered Disney California Adventure Park with a one-park ticket/Park Hopper ticket, or Disneyland Park with a Park Hopper ticket, prior to 12:00 PM (noon).
- To join the virtual queue in the Disneyland app tap the 3 lines in the bottom right corner and then click on virtual queues. See photo below.
- Then make sure to change your park to Disney California Adventure. If you’re scanned in this screen (in the photo below) will look different with a blue button that says join virtual queue. You can see all of this in the app before your arrive, so practice in the app.
- If the virtual queue reaches capacity, please visit the Paradise Bay viewing area 30 to 45 minutes before showtime to check in with a Cast Member for walk-up viewing options.
- Guests with a virtual queue selection will receive a notification through the Disneyland app to enter the viewing area via one of the 2 marked entrance points (Blue or Yellow) assigned to them, approximately 45 minutes before the show begins.
Guests who begin their day at Disneyland may then enter Disney California Adventure Park with their Park Hopper ticket after 1:00 PM for their designated entrance and showtime. Joining the virtual queue does not guarantee the ability to view World of Color.
Joining the virtual queue for World of Color is not required to view the spectacular, but it is highly recommended. Additional viewing for each performance is located around Paradise Bay on a first-come, first-served basis. But these locations are very far from the show and not a good option in my opinion. You want to be in the reserved seating through the virtual queue or dining/dessert package options listed below.
Once you have your spot in the virtual queue it will indicate which assigned viewing area you must return to later that night. Here’s a photo below how is used to look with the old FastPass system. But now the app will show you which area you will be assigned to view the show.
See the map below where each viewing section is for the show. It varies depending on your color and if you are with a special designated area or have reserved seating in the dining package or dessert party.
The viewing areas are standing room only. They allow you to sit until about 10 minutes before the show and then you stand for the whole show. I suggest that you arrive an hour before the show starts because even though you have a spot in the virtual queue the designated area it fills up quickly. Keep in mind that with standing room only it makes it very difficult for kids to view this show. That’s why I suggest arriving an hour before the show starts so you hopefully can get in the BLUE section over on the bridge leading to Pixar Pier for the best viewing option if you’re assigned to the BLUE area. Or the front row of the yellow section but some of that is the splash zone. The show lasts 22 minutes.
Dining package options
If you want a better viewing area you can also book a dining package at Wine Country Trattoria or Storytellers Cafe. Prior to the show, enjoy a delicious 3-course meal, including dishes like chicken parmesan, fettuccine alfredo, salmon, roasted vegetable lasagna, and tiramisu to name a few. Simply check in with your host or server about upgrading your reservation to the dining package! Or another dining package option at Storytellers Café at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa. Indulge in an all-you-care-to-enjoy dinner buffet with specialty sweets and a non-alcoholic beverage followed by reserved seating for World of Color. Upon arrival for your reservation, just let your server or the host know you want an upgrade to this exciting enhancement. Booking details for this dining package coming soon.
The other option is the World of Color Dessert party featuring sweet and savory selection of desserts and appetizers! Indulge in sweet delights including raspberry cookies, cheesecake, and Mickey crispies located at Paradise Gardens Park. Enjoy this party before the show in a special viewing area of World of Color with a seat, cost $84 per person. Please arrive 60 minutes prior to the start of the show. You can book the dessert party starting April 20th.
World of Color Variations
There are some seasonal versions of World of Color. For instance during Christmas time it changes to Seasons of Light. No matter the time of year you should see this spectacular show at least once on your visit.