No trip to Disneyland is complete for me without a stop at the Mint Julep for Mickey shaped beignets. They offer beignets in original flavor and sometimes seasonal flavors like peppermint, butterscotch, strawberry, pumpkin spice and more. You can also get beignets when you dine at Cafe Orleans in New Orleans Square.
This post contains affiliate links which means I make a little something when you purchase through the link with no extra cost to you.
Recipes at City Hall
A few years ago I learned a fun tip. You could go to City Hall and get a copy of the recipe for your favorite food item(s) sold in the parks. I knew that I had to have the recipe for beignets so that I could make them at home whenever I wanted. Well how many years have gone by and I’m just now getting around to making them.
This recipe came directly from Disneyland, all credit goes to them. Sadly you can no longer ask for recipes at City Hall for food in the parks. They are transferring all recipes to a digital system, that will be available to everyone online at some point. I will be sure to share on this post when the recipes are available. I was told by a cast member they do still give out recipes if you ask at some restaurants. If the chef has the recipe they will give it to you. If you’re looking for other original Disney recipes head over here on the blog for more cooking fun.
How to make Mickey shaped beignets
The recipe makes 10 Mickey shaped beignets. It depends on the size of your Mickey cookie cutter. This batch made 15 beignets with my cookie cutter that is 4″ x 4″. But if you don’t have one you can always just cut them into squares. Here is a link to the Mickey cookie cutter on Amazon.
I first gathered all of my ingredients plus my adorable Mickey Mouse bowl I got from Target. I also got out my Bosch for mixing the dough.
Mickey Mouse Beignet recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105 degrees)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Powdered sugar
1. Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve. Let stand for 5 minutes.
2. Combine sugar, shortening, salt, heavy cream, egg, flour and boiling water in a large bowl: stir in yeast mixture. With the dough hook attachment of an electric mixer on medium speed, mix the dough just until combined and smooth. Let dough rest for 30 minutes.
3. Roll into 1/4 inch thickness and cut individual beignets with Mickey Mouse shaped cutter or cut into 2 1/2 to 3 inch squares.
Cover with a towel and let dough rise until doubled in size in a warm, draft free area, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. (Mine didn’t double in size and they turned out fine.)
4. About the last 20 minutes of the dough rising start to heat your oil. I recommend a good cooking thermometer here. Heat 3 inches of vegetable oil to 350 degrees in a deep, heavy pot over medium heat. Fry beignets until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes, turning as soon as they brown on one side. Remove with tongs and place on paper towels to drain.
Another option is to put them in your air fryer. We tried both versions. I preferred the fried ones of course!
Dust warm beignets with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
We also tried them with honey and strawberry jam.
You’re gonna want to try these, they are so good! I felt like I was back at Disneyland. It was fun to bring home some of the magic of the parks. The beignets tasted just like they make them at Disneyland. And they weren’t hard to make, I just followed the recipe. The only thing missing was a Mint Julep to drink with them! But guess what you can find a copy cat recipe over at Liz On Call’s blog. Find her Mint Julep recipe here.
Now after eating these beignets you’re probably itching to book another trip to Disneyland. For the best deals on tickets and/or hotel check out prices here from Get Away Today, a Disney partner. Book your vacation today. And if you want to put your vacation on layaway you can find those details here.