A complete guide for the Oogie Boogie Bash, a separate Halloween ticket, after park-hours event located inside Disney California Adventure. Your ticket includes trick-or-treating through the park in your favorite Halloween costumes, characters both spooky and fantastic. The event includes fun interactive trick or treat trails, “Frightfully Fun Parade,” Villain’s Grove at the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, “Mickey’s Trick & Treat” show, plus new villains this year and more. The party is from 6:00 pm to 11:00 pm but guests can arrive as early as 3:00 pm with access into Disney California Adventure park. Parking is not included. I’m going to share with you how to make the most of your night.
2023 Oogie Boogie Party dates
UPDATE: this event is sold out for 2023! Party dates and ticket prices are as follows…
September 5 price $134
September 7 price $144
September 10 price $159
September 12 price $134
September 14 price $144
September 17 price $159
September 19 price $134
September 21 price $144
September 24 price $159
September 26 price $144
September 28 price $144
October 1 price $169
October 3 price $159
October 5 price $159
October 8 price $169
October 10 price $159
October 12 price $159
October 15 price $169
October 17 price $159
October 19 price $159
October 22 price $169
October 24 price $169
October 26 price $169
October 29 price $189
October 31 price $189
I’m here to help you prepare for the party with all the tips and information needed to have the best time. First let’s talk about what to expect at the Oogie Boogie Bash. Then further down in this post I’ll give a detailed plan how to fit it all in. I’ll share with you the best order to do the treat trails and entertainment to make the most of your event.
Plan a trip
Now that you have your tickets for the Oogie Boogie Bash, next you’ll want to find a nearby hotel. I have stayed at and reviewed over 20+ hotels in the area. Find my reviews along with discounted hotel rates.
General tips for Oogie Boogie Bash
Take advantage of the early entry to DCA, 3:00 pm. This allows you more time to go on the rides before the party even officially starts. You’ll receive a map with all the treat trails, character locations and more. Plus they will hand you a small bag for candy. And they will put on a wristband so cast members know you’re there for the exclusive event. Because at 6:00 p.m. everyone without a wristband is asked to leave.
There are many exclusive things for attendees only. I suggest doing exclusive party things once the party starts. Go on attractions from 3-6 p.m. before the party starts. Some people like to take advantage of the shorter lines at the attractions during the party. So you decide what’s important for your group. I have a complete Halloween post that tells you which rides change to Halloween themed that you should check out as well including Monsters After Dark the Guardians of the Galaxy overlay.
I don’t recommend doing a day at Disneyland or Disney California Adventure and the Oogie Boogie Bash in the same day. It makes for a long exhausting day. Spend the morning relaxing, sleeping in or by the pool. Head to the party early afternoon rested up and ready to enjoy the event.
If you are already in the park at 3 p.m. you don’t have to go back to the entrance to get your wristband. Next to Avengers Campus main entrance and across from Grizzly Falls you will see cast members with wristbands and maps for you. They will scan your party ticket and give you your stuff. See the photo below for where to pick up your stuff.
If you have little ones hit the candy stations early in the night before they get tired and crash! You’ll find the locations on the map you grabbed at the gate. See my plan at the bottom of this post for the order to do each trail. The lines go fast so don’t let the long lines discourage you. Also know, there are candy and healthy options along each trail.
Parents can join in the fun as well. When you arrive at the party a cast member will hand you a tiny plastic bag for your candy, but it’s not big enough for ALL the candy you’ll collect throughout the night. You can go through treat trails as many times as you want! PRO TIP: Bring your own big bag to collect candy cause you get a lot!
Trick or Treat trails
There are 12 trick or treat trails this year. Three of the trails only have candy, no villains. My favorite are the interactive trails that include “live” villains (explanation below). All the trails feature several oversized cauldrons full of treats for party guests. Each trail has about 5-7 bins of candy along the way. You can go through as many times as you’d like.
Treat Trails with villains
One of my favorite not to miss opportunity at the party are the Treat Trails that include villain interactions! These trails have villains that interact with and talk to guests as they walk by. Make sure you go to these spots! These villains are really in character and talk to you as you stroll past them in their unique spots. Here’s the list of villains for this year and their locations!
- Mother Gothel at Grizzly Peak Pass behind Grizzly River Run.
- NEW this year Judge Doom is at Grizzly Peak Airpark next to Soarin’.
- NEW this year Yokai in San Fransokyo Square.
- Oogie Boogie is in the Animation Building.
- Ernesto de la Cruz is over at the Hyperion Theatre Courtyard.
- Madam Mim is next to Carthay Circle.
- Agatha is inside Avengers Campus in the Ancient Sanctum.
- Sid is over on Pixar Pier next to Bing Bong’s.
- Cruella is over on the stage in Hollywood Land by Monsters Inc.
- Plus 3 treat trails with candy only in Carsland, on Buena Vista Street and in Paradise Gardens Park.
If you’re going to the Oogie Boogie Bash DON’T miss the Villains Grove in the Redwood Creek Challenge area. You walk along the guided path and see so many spectacular views of different villains. These are not people dressed up as villains like on the treat trails. The forest is turned into a magical grove of light and sound with mystical sights and sounds. Make your way through the bewitching mist and fog to discover ….
- Frollo’s Sanctuary – make your way down the candlelit trail infused with the smell of incense.
- Maleficent’s Will – look for the waterfall of magical cascading colors. Ravens cast shadows overhead and thorns grow from twisting vines.
- Cheshire Cat – careful you might miss the sneaky cat disappear in the rocks.
- Queen of Hearts’ Garden – a garden of twisted roses and flowers. You’ll get a big whiff of roses and be on the lookout for the Queen of Hearts herself before she disappears.
- Scar’s Elephant Graveyard – the hyenas’ echoing laughter and blasts of sulphur you’ll be sure to smell. .
- Dr. Facilier’s – the shadow man summons his friends on the other side. Watch for shadowed hands and colorful spells dancing at your feet.
- The Queen’s Lightning Forest – a flashing storm pulses from branch to branch. Watch for the poison apple it will disappear before your eyes.
- Home of the Wisps – be guided to safety by the grove’s winged caretakers in an endless sea of light.
I really enjoyed this experience. Above is a cool photo spot at the end of the trail. Now don’t be confused, this is not a treat trail. There is no candy on this trial just a cool mystical experience. Don’t be afraid if there is a long line. It moves quickly. And this trail has a handicap accessible option too. Also you can see the wait time for this in the app. It opens after the sun sets around 7:45 p.m. I’d wait until it’s pitch black to do Villains Grove. It looks so much better when it’s dark. Another tip, try and go during the first parade and then attend the last parade. Use the Disneyland app to look up wait times for Villains Grove as well as attractions during the party.
Entertainment exclusive for party guests
Watch out for the Headless Horseman. He appears along the parade route 15 minutes before the parade starts. Frightfully Fun parade is shown twice a night at 7:50 p.m. and 10:05 p.m, it lasts 12 minutes. This parade is only for party guests. The second parade will have less attendance. Both parades start over near Silly Symphony Swings and head towards Little Mermaid, pass in front then along the path towards Carthay Circle. At Carthay Circle it turns right and heads down Hollywood Blvd, turns right at Hyperion Theatre and ends at Guardians of the Galaxy. The second parade goes the same direction. There are so many places along the parade route to watch. And with this event having a limited amount of party guests you should be able to find a great viewing spot. There’s no need to hold a spot more than 20-30 minutes before it starts. There are also dining options that come with preferred seating if you’d like to look at those options, but not necessary in order to get a good seat for the parade.
- Sonoma Terrace Oogie Boogie Bash Dessert Party with some Halloween treats along with reserved viewing for Frightfully Fun Parade. Feast on an impressive selection desserts and beverages. The Dessert Party is available twice per night during party nights. Children ages 2 and under may attend free of charge, provided they are seated on the lap of an adult. Advance reservations are recommended and can be booked online up to 60 days prior to your visit at Disneyland.com/Dining. Oogie Boogie Bash tickets are required for booking. Dining reservations available now. I don’t think the views for the parade with the Dessert Party are very good. See photo below.
- Wine Country Trattoria – Oogie Boogie Bash Parade Dining, dine on a three-course meal (starter, entrée, and dessert) prior to the parade and then head over to a reserved standing viewing area to see the Frightfully Fun Parade during Oogie Boogie Bash party nights. This experience is available for lunch and dinner on party dates from 11:00 a.m. to 4:50 p.m. with walk ups available 5-6:00 p.m. Adult price $62 and guests ages 3-9 price $37 for lunch or dinner. Reservations for dining at the restaurant can be made for Wine Country Trattoria on any date of the Oogie Boogie Bash subject to availability. Upon arrival, let the host know you want to upgrade to this dining experience, which is subject to availability, and must be made in person. Oogie Boogie Bash tickets are required. Advance reservations are recommended and can be booked online up to 60 days prior to your visit at Disneyland.com/Dining.
Mickey’s Trick and Treat fun at the Disney Jr. theatre in Hollywood land is a must see for kids. Oh who am I kidding I enjoyed it too!!! Join Mickey Mouse and pals for a costume party where trick-or-treaters laugh, dance, enjoy a spooky-but-fun story and leave with a special treat. Here are the show times this year during the party at 6:00 PM, 6:45 PM, 7:30 PM, 8:45 PM, 9:30 PM
Exclusive food for party guests only
Flo’s V-8 Café in Cars Land has two exclusive Oogie Boogie Bash options.
- Loaded Carolina BBQ Chicken Fries – Steak Fries, Chicken Tenders, Tangy Carolina BBQ Sauce, Dill Pickle Ranch Dressing and Chopped Dill Pickles
- Loaded Buffalo Chicken Fries – steak fries, chicken tenders tossed in Buffalo sauce, Blue cheese, celery and Ranch. I liked the Loaded Buffalo Chicken Fries better. They were SO tasty.
Other exclusive party food found at Pym’s Test Kitchen Combustible Components Pizza huge slice of pizze with lots of toppings. Then over near Goofy’s Sky School the Panic Churro a blue sugar churro with raspberry popping candy. And the Halloween Scoop served at Clarabelle’s with your choice of ice cream, chocolate witch’s hat cone and seasonal toppings. Plus there is all the seasonal Halloween offerings available during the party. Print the complete list of Halloween treats here. Use the Disneyland app to see when dining locations close because they don’t all stay open until 11 p.m. I’d recommend eating dinner around 5 p.m. before the party even starts. Once it starts you’ll be so busy trying to fit in everything you won’t want to stop and eat.
This is your chance to see the Disney characters all dressed up in costumes. Plus there will be villains out for photos! Check the guide you get at the gates for locations. All the Disney PhotoPass photos you’ll capture during the event are included with your ticket. Don’t forget to ask the photographer if they have any Magic Shots like the one added to the photo below!
Character Sighting locations
There are many locations throughout the park where you can see and snap photos with characters. There are many rare characters you can meet like Bruno, the Sanderson Sisters (Disney style) and NEW this year Lotso over on Pixar Pier. The lines for the characters move very slow and can get very long so keep that in mind. Use your map that you receive when you check in to see the list of characters and locations.
Magic Key Holders
There is an exclusive Oogie Boogie Bash photo opportunity for Magic Key holders only over near Silly Symphony Swings. In addition you get a special Halloween treat! Enjoy!
Game Plan for Oogie Boogie night
There is so much to see and do at the Oogie Boogie Bash it’s best to have a plan. Make sure to use the map they give you at the entrance and formulate a game plan. This year I changed the treat trail order around a bit and we’re going to start at the back of the park and move around in a circle. This plan includes all the things … the 12 treat trails, walk through Villains Grove, the parade and more. Follow the order below and make the most out of your night!
Get in line at 5:50 p.m. at the treat trail near the Golden Zephyr. The party begins at 6 p.m. here we go!
- Treat trail candy only near Golden Zephyr (#1 on map)
- If you’re a Magic Key Holder stop at Silly Symphony for your exclusive gift and treat trail
- Sid treat trail (#2 on map)
- Yokai treat trail (#3 on map)
- Carsland treat trail has no villain but you get candy! (#4 on the map)
- Watch the neon lights go on at sunset in Carsland (time varies google sunset in Anaheim).
- Get a snack at Flo’s or a treat at Cozy Cone. (optional)
- Snap a photo with one of the residents of Carsland, utilize PhotoPass it comes with your ticket.
- Agatha treat trail (#5 on map)
- Ernesto de la Cruz treat trail (#6 on map)
- Cruella treat trail (#7 on map)
- Oogie Boogie treat trail (#8 on map)
- Madam Mim treat trail (#9 on map)
- Now watch your time. Before you go to the next treat trail you may want to get in line for Villains Grove. You need to get in line by 8 p.m. you’re trying to beat the rush. After the parade is over many will head to this line and it gets really long. Don’t be scared by the long line it moves quickly. The app said 45 minute wait and we only waited 17 minutes.
- Mother Gothel treat trail (#10 on map)
- NEW Judge Doom treat trail (#11 on map)
- Buena Vista Street treat trail has no villains but candy (#12 on map)
- At this point choose what’s next on your list. Go stand in line for a character, see the last Mickey’s Trick and Treat show, repeat some treat trails, or continue with my plans below.
- At the Headless Horseman statue on Buena Vista St. there is a PhotoPass photographer who has magic shots for the party. Take a minute to get some photos.
- Now find a seat along Hollywood Blvd for the parade.
- Frightfully Fun parade won’t arrive over on this side of the parade route until around 10:15 p.m. The Headless Horseman will walk along the route and then the parade follows about 10:30 p.m.. Find seats and let others go do a treat trail again or you’re near Monsters After Dark the Guardians of the Galaxy Halloween layover go on a ride.
- And I saved the best for last! Why didn’t I go see the Sanderson Sisters (Minnie, Daisy and Clarabelle) at the beginning of the party? Well for two reasons. First off the line is out in the sun and it’s hot. The character meet and greet lines move very slow. And second, I’d rather get through treat trails and see some villains at the beginning of the party then stand in a line for the first 90 minutes of the party. If you have kids that want to trick or treat then for sure save this character meet and greet for later in the evening when it’s cooler. I recommend going after the 2nd parade.
- Lastly remember you can hop in line for any ride before the party ends and still get to go on it. So decide if you want to do an attraction like Monsters After Dark or Radiator Springs Racers. Just be in line by 10:59 p.m.
FAQ’s about Oogie Boogie Bash!
If I don’t have a ticket will they kick me out of Disney California Adventure? YES, guests with tickets get a wristband. Anyone without one will not be allowed on rides, to eat or make purchases and be asked to leave the park.
Will Disneyland be open on the Oogie Boogie Bash party nights? YES, you can hop over to Disneyland for the rest of the night if you have a park hopper ticket.
Is the Oogie Boogie Bash worth the ticket price? YES, it gets you into Disney California Adventure 3 pm before the party starts. So take advantage of those extra park hours. Lines for the rides during the event are shorter. You meet villains and other characters that are only available at the party. Trick or treating with immersive treat trails and the Villains Grove area is my favorite party perk. But I don’t think it’s necessary to go every year.
Can you use Disney Genie+ during the Oogie Boogie Bash? No it’s not available to use during the party. And it’s not needed the lines are very short!
Should I spend all day in the park plus do the party? NO, would be my recommendation. It will be a very long day and night especially for kids. Take the morning to sleep in, play at the pool etc. Then you’ll be nice and rested for the party. Don’t forget to be there early!
When will tickets sell out? Yes they SOLD OUT in only a few hours this year. Make sure you sign up for my newsletter so you know next year when tickets go on sale!
Can I go to Disneyland at all with this special event ticket? No, this ticket only allows access to Disney California Adventure.
Is a theme park reservation required? No theme park reservation is required for the park mix-in and event with your event ticket.
Well that was a pretty thorough explanation of what is included in the event. If you have questions let me know. Have a BOOtiful time!!!!
For details about all the things Halloween going on this time of year check out this post.
Pin this post to your favorite Disney Halloween board!