A complete guide for the Oogie Boogie Bash, a separate Halloween ticket, after park-hours event located inside Disney California Adventure. Your ticket includes trick-or-treating through the park in your favorite Halloween costumes, characters both spooky and fantastic. The event includes fun interactive trick or treat trails, “Frightfully Fun Parade,” Villain’s Grove at the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, “Mickey’s Trick & Treat” show, plus new villains this year and more. The party is from 6:00 pm to 11:00 pm but guests can arrive as early as 3:00 pm with access into Disney California Adventure park. Parking is not included. This year Visit Anaheim sent me to the event to get all the scoop! And I’m going to share with you how to make the most of your night.
2022 Oogie Boogie Party dates
UPDATE!!!! SOLD OUT, every night!!! NEW Party dates announced for 2022 … Sept 6, 10 (D-23 members only), 13, 15, 18, 20, 22, 25, 27, 29 and Oct 2, 4, 6, 9, 11, 13, 16, 18, 20, 23, 25, 27, 29 and 31. Event tickets go on sale June 28 (no earlier than 9 a.m. PT), a limited amount of Oogie Boogie Bash tickets go on pre-sale for Magic Key holders, and members of D23. Tickets to the events, go on sale to the general public beginning June 30th.
I’m here to help prepare you for the party with all the tips and information needed to have the best time. And of course a FREE printable to help you plan your night listing all the event entertainment, characters, food, treat trails etc. in one place. Find this helpful one page guide at the bottom of this post. Plus I have a suggested game plan that I used at the party and it worked fantastic. Details found later in this post. Let’s talk about what to expect at the Oogie Boogie Bash and then the best way to fit it all in.
General tips for Oogie Boogie Bash
Take advantage of the early entry to DCA, 3:00 pm. This allows you more time to go on the rides before the party even officially starts. You’ll receive a map with all the treat trails, character locations and more. Plus they will hand you a small bag for candy. And they will put on a wristband so cast members know you’re there for the exclusive event. Because at 6:00 p.m. everyone without a wristband is asked to leave.
Pro tip: UPDATE as of 10-6 they are no longer letting non-guests through this entrance on party dates.
If the line to get into DCA at the entrance is really long you can always use the hotel access in the Grand Californian hotel. This entrance is not just for hotel guests. And this entrance rarely has a line. See photo below through the hotel entrance into the park.
If you’re not sure how to access this entrance through Downtown Disney see the map below.
There are many exclusive things for attendees only. I suggest doing exclusive party things once the party starts. Go on attractions from 3-6 p.m. before the party starts. Some people like to take advantage of the shorter lines at the attractions during the party. So you decide what’s important for your group. I have a complete Halloween post that tells you which rides change to Halloween themed that you should check out as well including Monsters After Dark the Guardians of the Galaxy overlay.
I don’t recommend doing a day at Disneyland or Disney California Adventure and the Oogie Boogie Bash in the same day. It makes for a long exhausting day. Spend the morning relaxing, sleeping in or by the pool. Head to the party early afternoon rested up and ready to enjoy the event.
If you are already in the park at 3 p.m. you don’t have to go back to the entrance to get your wristband. Across from Avengers Campus main entrance and left of Grizzly Falls you will see cast members with wristbands and maps for you. They will scan your party ticket and give you your stuff. See the photo below for where to pick up your stuff.
If you have little ones hit the candy stations early in the night before they get tired and crash! You’ll find the locations on the map you grabbed at the gate. See my plan at the bottom of this post for the order to do each trail. The lines go fast so don’t let the long lines discourage you. Also know, there are candy and healthy options along each trail. Parents can join in the fun as well. You will each get a plastic bag when you enter the park for your candy, but it’s not very big. If you want something sturdier to carry it all night long bring an extra back pack to put your candy in once collected. You will get LOTS of candy! And you may want to rent a locker to put your candy in rather than carrying it around all night. Don’t worry they won’t run out of candy!
Trick or Treat trails
There are 11 trick or treat trails. Two of the trails only have candy, no villains. My favorite are the interactive trails that include “live” villains (explanation below). All the trails feature several oversized cauldrons full of treats for party guests. Each trail has about 5-7 bins of candy along the way. You can go through as many times as you’d like.
Treat Trails with villains
One of my favorite not to miss opportunity at the party are the Treat Trails that include villain interactions! These trails have villains that interact with and talk to guests as they walk by. Make sure you go to these spots! These villains are really in character and talk to you as you stroll past them in their unique spots. Here’s the list of villains for this year and their locations!
- New this year Mother Gothel at Grizzly Peak Pass behind Grizzly River Run.
- Maleficent is at Grizzly Peak Airpark next to Soarin’.
- Oogie Boogie is in the Animation Building.
- Dr. Facilier moved over near Golden Zephyr.
- NEW this year Ernesto de la Cruz is next to Carthay Circle.
- NEW this year Madam Mim is over at the Hyperion Theatre Courtyard.
- Agatha is inside Avengers Campus in the Ancient Sanctum.
- Sid is over on Pixar Pier next to Bing Bong’s.
- Cruella is over on the stage in Hollywood Land by Monsters Inc.
If you’re going to the Oogie Boogie Bash DON’T miss the Villains Grove in the Redwood Creek Challenge area. You walk along the guided path and see so many spectacular views of different villains. These are not people dressed up as villains like on the treat trails. The forest is turned into a magical grove of light and sound with mystical sights and sounds. Make your way through the bewitching mist and fog to discover ….
- Frollo’s Sanctuary – make your way down the candlelit trail infused with the smell of incense.
- Maleficent’s Will – look for the waterfall of magical cascading colors. Ravens cast shadows overhead and thorns grow from twisting vines.
- Cheshire Cat – careful you might miss the sneaky cat disappear in the rocks.
- Queen of Hearts’ Garden – a garden of twisted roses and flowers. You’ll get a big whiff of roses and be on the lookout for the Queen of Hearts herself before she disappears.
- Scar’s Elephant Graveyard – the hyenas’ echoing laughter and blasts of sulphur you’ll be sure to smell. .
- Dr. Facilier’s – the shadow man summons his friends on the other side. Watch for shadowed hands and colorful spells dancing at your feet.
- The Queen’s Lightning Forest – a flashing storm pulses from branch to branch. Watch for the poison apple it will disappear before your eyes.
- Home of the Wisps – be guided to safety by the grove’s winged caretakers in an endless sea of light.
I really enjoyed this experience. Above is a cool photo spot at the end of the trail. Now don’t be confused, this is not a treat trail. There is no candy on this trial just a cool mystical experience. Don’t be afraid if there is a long line. It moves quickly. And this trail has a handicap accessible option too. Also you can see the wait time for this in the app. It opens after the sun sets around 7:45 p.m. I’d wait until it’s pitch black to do Villains Grove. It looks so much better when it’s dark. Another tip, try and go during the first parade and then attend the last parade.
Entertainment exclusive for party guests
Watch out for the Headless Horseman. He appears along the parade route 15 minutes before the parade starts. Frightfully Fun parade is shown twice a night at 7:45 p.m. and 10:00 p.m, it lasts 12 minutes. This parade is only for party guests. The second parade will have less attendance. Both parades start over near Silly Symphony Swings and head towards Little Mermaid, pass in front then along the path towards Carthay Circle. At Carthay Circle it turns right and heads down Hollywood Blvd, turns right at Hyperion Theatre and ends at Guardians of the Galaxy. Then the second parade goes the same direction. There are so many places along the parade route to watch. And with this event having a limited amount of party guests you should be able to find a great viewing spot. There’s no need to hold a spot more than 20-30 minutes before it starts. There are also dining options that come with preferred seating if you’d like to look at those options, but not necessary in order to get a good seat for the parade.
- Wine Country Trattoria Oogie Boogie Bash Parade Dining, dine on a three-course meal (starter, entrée, and dessert) prior to the parade and then head over to a reserved standing viewing area to see the Frightfully Fun Parade during Oogie Boogie Bash party nights. This experience is available for lunch and dinner on party dates from 12:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Adult price $59 for both lunch or dinner. And guests ages 3-9 price $39 for lunch or dinner. Reservations for dining at the restaurant can be made for Wine Country Trattoria on any date of the Oogie Boogie Bash subject to availability. Upon arrival, let the host know you want to upgrade to this dining experience, which is subject to availability, and must be made in person. Oogie Boogie Bash tickets are required.
- Sonoma Terrace Oogie Boogie Bash Dessert Party with some Halloween treats along with reserved viewing for Frightfully Fun Parade. Feast on an impressive selection desserts and beverages. The Dessert Party is available twice per night, beginning at 7:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. during party nights. Children ages 2 and under may attend free of charge, provided they are seated on the lap of an adult. Advance reservations are recommended and can be booked online up to 60 days prior to your visit at Disneyland.com/Dining. Oogie Boogie Bash tickets are required for booking. Dining reservations available now. Cost $89
Mickey’s Trick and Treat fun at the Disney Jr. theatre in Hollywood land is a must see for kids. Oh who am I kidding I enjoyed it too!!! Join Mickey Mouse and pals for a costume party where trick-or-treaters laugh, dance, enjoy a spooky-but-fun story and leave with a special treat. Here are the show times this year during the party at 6:00 PM, 6:45 PM, 7:30 PM, 8:50 PM, 9:40 PM
Exclusive food for party guests only
Flo’s V-8 Café in Cars Land has two exclusive Oogie Boogie Bash options.
- Loaded Gravy Fries – steak fries, chicken tenders, cheese curds and gravy.
- Loaded Buffalo Chicken Fries – steak fries, chicken tenders tossed in Buffalo sauce, Blue cheese, celery and Ranch. I liked the Loaded Buffalo Chicken Fries better. They were SO tasty.
Other exclusive party food includes a strawberry-flavored Pain Churro at Senor Buzz Churros on Pixar Pier and the raspberry-flavored Panic Churro over near Goofy’s Sky School. Over at Wine Country Trattoria find the Mistress of Evil Chocolate Cake. And last but not least we ate the black batter corn dog and cheese on a stick. Tasted just like I expected a corn dog at Disney to taste! Plus there is all the seasonal Halloween offerings available during the party. Print the complete list of Halloween treats here. Use the Disneyland app to see when dining locations close because they don’t all stay open until 11 p.m. I’d recommend eating dinner around 5 p.m. before the party even starts. Once it starts you’ll be so busy trying to fit in everything you won’t want to stop and eat.
This is your chance to see the Disney characters all dressed up in costumes. Plus there will be villains out for photos! Check the guide you get at the gates for locations. All the Disney PhotoPass photos you’ll capture during the event are included with your ticket. Don’t forget to ask the photographer if they have any Magic Shots like the one added to the photo below!
Character Sighting locations
There are 11 different locations where you can see and snap photos with some characters. They do not do autographs. There are many rare characters, plus all new this year you can meet Bruno and the Sanderson Sisters (Disney style). The lines for the characters move very slow. Some of them are very long like over an hour to see the Sanderson Sisters. I have some tips for meeting characters down at the bottom of my game plan if you want to know my recommendations.
- NEW this year, Minnie Mouse, Daisy Duck and Clarabelle Cow as the Sanderson Sisters from “Hocus Pocus – Hollywood Land
- Disney Duos – Carthay Circle
- Heroic Encounters – Avengers Campus
- Residents of Cars Land – Cozy Cone Motel
- Classic Animated Friends – Pacific Wharf
- Swashbuckling Sidekicks – Pacific Wharf
- Sinister Step and Repeat – Grizzly Trail Water Wheel
- NEW this year, Bruno – Grizzly Peak Trail
- Pixar Pals – near Poultry Palace
- Incredibles – Incredicoaster Waterfall
- Mickey and Minnie – Paradise Gardens Park
Magic Key Holders
There is an exclusive Oogie Boogie Bash photo opportunity for Magic Key holders only over near Silly Symphony Swings. In addition you get a special Halloween treat! Enjoy!
Game Plan for Oogie Boogie night
There was so much I wanted to see and do this year at the Oogie Boogie Bash. I sat down with the map they give you at the entrance and formulated a game plan. I wanted to do all the treat trails, see the neon lights in Carsland turn on, walk through Villains Grove and see the parade. I was able to do all of those things and more. Here’s my plan if you’d like to follow my itinerary. Go in this order for a reason.
Get in line at 5:50 p.m. at Ernesto de la Cruz treat trail. The party begins at 6 p.m. here we go!
- Ernesto de la Cruz treat trail (#1 on map)
- Oogie Boogie treat trail (#2 on map)
- Madam Mim treat trail (#3 on map)
- Agatha treat trail (#4 on map)
- Carsland treat trail has no villain but you get candy! (#5 on the map) We did it twice there was no line!
- Watch the neon lights go on at sunset (time varies google sunset in Anaheim).
- Get a snack at Flo’s or a treat at Cozy Cone. (optional)
- Snap a photo with one of the residents of Carsland, utilize PhotoPass it comes with your ticket.
- Buena Vista Street treat trail has no villains but candy (#6 on map)
- Maleficent treat trail (#7 on map)
- Now watch your time. Before you go to the next treat trail you may want to get in line for Villains Grove. You need to get in line before 8 p.m. If you have time do #8.
- Mother Gothel treat trail (#8 on map)
- Go do Villains Grove now if you didn’t do it above. The goal is to be in line before the parade ends cause once it ends the line will build. The app said 45 minute wait and we only waited 17 minutes. So don’t be scared by the long line it moves quickly.
- Dr. Facilier treat trail #9
- Magic Key holders over near Silly Symphony Swings grab a special treat plus a unique photo opportunity.
- Sid treat trail #10
- At this point choose what’s next on your list. Go stand in line for Bruno, see the last Mickey’s Trick and Treat show, repeat some treat trails, or continue with my plans below.
- At the Headless Horseman statue on Buena Vista St. there is a PhotoPass photographer who has magic shots for the party. Take a minute to get some photos.
- Cruella treat trail (#11 on map). The reason you don’t do this one at the beginning of the night when you’re over here doing the Oogie Boogie treat trail is the line is long! By the time you swing back around the line is very short. You could even do her twice, plus her back drop is cooler at night time.
- Now find a seat along Hollywood Blvd for the parade.
- Frightfully Fun parade won’t arrive over on this side of the parade route until around 10:15 p.m. The Headless Horseman will walk along the route and then the parade follows about 10:30 p.m.. Find seats and let others go do a treat trail again or you’re near Monsters After Dark the Guardians of the Galaxy Halloween layover go on a ride.
- And I saved the best for last! Why didn’t I go see the Sanderson Sisters (Minnie, Daisy and Clarabelle) at the beginning of the party? Well for two reasons. First off the line is out in the sun and it’s hot. The character meet and greet lines move very slow. I know people who got in line before the party started to meet the Sanderson Sisters and waited an hour and a half. And second, I’d rather get through 6 treat trails and see some villains at the beginning of the party then stand in a line for the first 90 minutes of the party. If you have kids that want to trick or treat then for sure save this character meet and greet for later in the evening when it’s cooler. The line will not go down much it’s going to be long no matter what time you go. I recommend going during or after the 2nd parade. Remember they can cut off this line at any point if it gets too long towards the end of the night.
- Lastly remember you can hop in line for any ride before the party ends and still get to go on it. So decide if you want to do an attraction like Web Slingers or Radiator Springs Racers. Just be in line by 10:59 p.m.
Printable Guide for Oogie Boogie Bash
Here is your updated guide to print before you go to the party. Click here to print. Use this to plan your visit before you even go to the event. Mark the treat trails by number order so you’re not scrambling the night of the party.
FAQ’s about Oogie Boogie Bash!
If I don’t have a ticket will they kick me out of Disney California Adventure? YES, guests with tickets get a wristband. Anyone without one will not be allowed on rides, to eat or make purchases and be asked to leave the park.
Will Disneyland be open on the Oogie Boogie Bash party nights? YES, you can hop over to Disneyland for the rest of the night if you have a park hopper ticket.
Is the Oogie Boogie Bash worth the ticket price? YES, it gets you into Disney California Adventure 3 pm before the party starts. So take advantage of those extra park hours. Lines for the rides during the event are shorter. You meet villains and other characters that are only available at the party. Trick or treating with immersive treat trails and the Villains Grove area is my favorite party perk. But I don’t think it’s necessary to go every year.
Can you use Disney Genie+ during the Oogie Boogie Bash? No it’s not available to use during the party. And it’s not needed the lines are very short!
Should I spend all day in the park plus do the party? NO, would be my recommendation. It will be a very long day and night especially for kids. Take the morning to sleep in, play at the pool etc. Then you’ll be nice and rested for the party. Don’t forget to be there early!
When will tickets sell out? Yes they are SOLD OUT!
Can I go to Disneyland at all with this special event ticket? No, this ticket only allows access to Disney California Adventure.
Is a theme park reservation required? No theme park reservation is required for the park mix-in and event with your event ticket.
Well that was a pretty thorough explanation of what is included in the event. If you have questions let me know. Have a BOOtiful time!!!!
For details about all the things Halloween going on this time of year check out this post.
Pin this post to your favorite Disney Halloween board!
Okay first off, you are an absolute angel for writing this article and giving so much useful information. I never would have known to do most of the things you listed. My husband and I followed your instructions and we had the most productive and fun Oogie Boogie Bash experience ever! You saved us from wasting time trying to figure out how to tackle everything while we were there. Thank you thank you thank you!!
Oh I am so happy to hear this. I appreciate your feedback. It’s great to know that my posts are helping others. You’re so very welcome!