A complete guide for the Oogie Boogie Bash, a separate Halloween ticket, after park-hours event located inside Disney California Adventure. Your ticket includes trick-or-treating through the park in your favorite Halloween costumes, characters both spooky and fantastic. The event includes fun interactive trick or treat trails, “Frightfully Fun Parade,” Villain’s Grove at the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, “Mickey’s Trick & Treat” show, plus new villains this year and more. The party is from 6:00 pm to 11:00 pm but guests can arrive as early as 3:00 pm with access into Disney California Adventure park. Parking is not included. Party dates for 2021 are as follows… Sept 9, 11, 12, 14, 16, 19, 21, 23, 26, 28, 30 and Oct 3, 5, 7, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21, 24, 26, 28, 30, 31. This event is sold out!
I’m here to help prepare you for the party with all the tips and information needed to make the most out of your night. And of course a FREE printable to help you plan your night listing all the event entertainment, characters, food, treat trails etc. in one place. Find this helpful one page guide at the bottom of this post.
I went in 2019, the first year they had this particular party. And I’m headed back in a few weeks. Here’s what to expect at Oogie Boogie Bash this year!
Take advantage of the early entry to DCA, 3:00 pm. This allows you more time to go on the rides before the party even officially starts. Be sure to grab a map for trick or treating and the entertainment schedule at the front gate as you enter! You’ll receive a wristband so cast members know you’re there for the exclusive event. Because at 6:00 p.m. everyone without a wristband is asked to leave.
Pro tip: If the line to get into DCA at the entrance is really long you can always use the hotel access in the Grand Californian hotel. This entrance is not just for hotel guests. And this entrance rarely has a line. See photo below as this is how I entered 2 years ago and I plan to on Sept 23rd when I go.
There are many exclusive things for attendees only. I suggest doing exclusive party things once the party starts. I suggest going on rides from 3-6 p.m. before the party starts or another day. Some people like to take advantage of the shorter lines at the attractions during the party. So you decide what’s important for your group. I have a complete Halloween post that tells you which rides change to Halloween themed that you should check out as well including Monsters After Dark the Guardians of the Galaxy overlay.
If you have little ones hit the candy stations early in the night before they get tired and crash! You’ll find the locations on the map you grabbed at the gate. The lines go fast so don’t let the long lines discourage you. Also know, there is candy and a healthy option at each station. Parents can join in the fun as well. You will each get a plastic bag when you enter the park for your candy, but it’s not very big. If you want something sturdier to carry it all night long bring an extra back pack to put your candy in once collected. You will get LOTS of candy! And you may want to rent a locker to put your candy in rather than carrying it around all night. Don’t worry they won’t run out of candy! Cast members tend to pass out more towards the end of the night. So for those that can last until late the lines are shorter too.
10 Trick or Treat locations
Again this year there are 10 total trick or treat trails. There are two locations (one at the entrance to the park and one over in Carsland) which are just walk through and no villains. Then this year there are eight interactive trails that include live villains (explanation below). All 10 trails feature several oversized cauldrons full of treats for party guests. You can go through as many times as you’d like.
Treat Trails with villains
One of my favorite not to miss opportunities at the party are the Treat Trails that include villain interactions! These trails have villains that interact with and talk to guests as they walk by. Make sure you go to these spots! These villains are really in character and talk to you as you stroll past them in their unique spots. Here are their locations this year, some are the same as two years ago.
- Evil Queen is at Grizzly Peak Pass behind the Grizzly River Run ride.
- Maleficent is at Grizzly Peak Airpark next to Soarin’.
- Oogie Boogie is in the Animation Building.
- Dr. Facilier moved over next to Carthay Circle.
- Mad Hatter is over at the Hyperion Theatre.
- Agatha is inside Avengers Campus in the Ancient Sanctum.
- Sid is over on Pixar Pier next to Bing Bong’s.
- Cruella is over on the stage in Hollywood land by Monsters Inc.
If you’re going to the Oogie Boogie Bash DON’T miss the Villains Grove in the Redwood Creek Challenge area. You walk along the guided path and see so many spectacular views of different Villains. The forest is turned into a magical grove of light and sound with mystical sights and sounds. Make your way through the bewitching mist and fog to discover ….
- Frollo’s Sanctuary – make your way down the candlelit trail infused with the smell of incense.
- Maleficent’s Will – look for the waterfall of magical cascading colors. Ravens cast shadows overhead and thorns grow from twisting vines.
- Cheshire Cat – careful you might miss the sneaky cat disappear in the rocks.
- Queen of Hearts’ Garden – a garden of twisted roses and flowers. You’ll get a big whiff of roses and be on the lookout for the Queen of Hearts herself before she disappears.
- Scar’s Elephant Graveyard – the hyenas’ echoing laughter and blasts of sulphur you’ll be sure to smell. .
- Dr. Facilier’s – the shadow man summons his friends on the other side. Watch for shadowed hands and colorful spells dancing at your feet.
- The Queen’s Lightning Forest – a flashing storm pulses from branch to branch. Watch for the poison apple it will disappear before your eyes.
- Home of the Wisps – be guided to safety by the grove’s winged caretakers in an endless sea of light.
I really enjoyed this when I went. Don’t be afraid if there is a long line. It moves quickly. And this trail has a handicap accessible option too All new this year you can see the wait time for this in the app. It opens after the sunsets around 7:45 p.m. I’d wait until it’s pitch black to do Villains Grove. It looks so much better when it’s dark. Another tip, try and go during the first parade and then attend the last parade.
Entertainment exclusive for party guests
Watch out for the Headless Horseman. He appears along the parade route just before the parade starts.
Frightfully Fun parade is shown twice a night at 7:45 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. This parade is only for party guests. The second parade will have less attendance. There are so many places along the parade route to see this one. And with this event having a limited amount of party guests you should be able to find a great viewing spot. There’s no need to hold a spot more than 15-20 minutes before it starts. There are also dining options that come with preferred seating if you’d like to look at those options.
- Wine Country Trattoria Oogie Boogie Bash Parade Dining, dine on a three-course meal (starter, entrée, and dessert) prior to the parade and then head over to a reserved standing viewing area to see the Frightfully Fun Parade during Oogie Boogie Bash party nights. This experience is available for lunch and dinner on party dates during the mix-in party time. The children’s meal includes an Oogie Boogie Popcorn Bucket (also available for adults for an additional charge). Reservations for dining at the restaurant can be made for Wine Country Trattoria on any date of the Oogie Boogie Bash subject to availability. Upon arrival, let the host know you want to upgrade to this dining experience, which is subject to availability, and must be made in person. Oogie Boogie Bash tickets are required.
- Sonoma Terrace Oogie Boogie Bash Dessert Party with some Halloween treats along with reserved viewing for Frightfully Fun Parade. Feast on an impressive selection desserts and beverages. The Dessert Party is available twice per night, beginning at 7:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. during party nights. Children ages 2 and under may attend free of charge, provided they are seated on the lap of an adult. Advance reservations are recommended and can be booked online up to 60 days prior to your visit at Disneyland.com/Dining. Oogie Boogie Bash tickets are required for booking. Dining reservations available now. Cost $84
Mickey’s Trick and Treat fun at the Disney Jr. theatre in Hollywood land is a must see for kids. Oh who am I kidding I enjoyed it too!!! Join Mickey Mouse and pals for a costume party where trick-or-treaters laugh, dance, enjoy a spooky-but-fun story and leave with a special treat. Catch this show during the party at 6:15 PM, 6:55 PM, 7:35 PM, 9:00 PM, 9:50 PM
New this year guests will have access to Avengers Campus. For all the details about this new land check out more on this post. During the party guests will have access to the all new Web Slingers: A Spider-Man Adventure ride. This attraction will have a stand by only line like all the other attractions starting at 6 p.m. There will be no boarding group required to get on the ride as usual during the day. You can see the wait time in the app for this attraction and all the others open during the party.
Exclusive food for party guests only
Flo’s V-8 Café in Cars Land is the only place that has exclusive Oogie Boogie Bash food. Choose from Buffalo Chicken Fries, Loaded Gravy Fries or Loaded Chili Fries. Plus there is all the seasonal Halloween offerings tavailable during the party. Print the complete list of Halloween treats here. Use the Disneyland app to see when dining locations close because they don’t all stay open until 11 p.m. I’d recommend eating 5-6 p.m. before the party starts.
This is your chance to see the Disney characters all dressed up in costumes. Plus there will be villains out for photos! Check the guide you get at the gates for locations. Don’t forget to scan your event admission ticket into the Disneyland app to access all the Disney PhotoPass photos you’ll capture during the event. You can ask any Disney photographer to take your picture and you’ll have those precious memories to download later!
Character Sighting locations
There are 9 specific locations you can see and snap photo with some characters.
- Mickey and Minnie – Paradise Park
- Disney Duos – Carthay Circle
- Heoric Encounters – Avengers Campus
- Classic Animated Friends – Pacfic Wharf
- Swashbuckling Sidekicks – Grizzly Falls
- Sinister Step and Repeat – Grizzly River Run
- Residents of Cars Land – Cozy Cone Motel
- Pixar Pals – near Poultry Palace
- Incredibles – near Incredicoaster
Magic Key Holders
Enjoy an exclusive Oogie Boogie Bash photo opportunity for Magic Key holders only. This fun Hocus Pocus scene will be available on party nights near Silly Symphony Swings.
Printable Guide for Oogie Boogie Bash
Click here to print your guide for the Oogie Boogie Bash. Use this to plan your visit before you even go to the event.
FAQ’s about Oogie Boogie Bash!
If I don’t have a ticket will they kick me out of Disney California Adventure? YES, guests with tickets get a wristband. Anyone without one will not be allowed on rides, to eat or make purchases and be asked to leave the park.
Will Disneyland be open on the Oogie Boogie Bash party nights? YES, you can hop over to Disneyland for the rest of the night if you have a park hopper ticket.
Is the Oogie Boogie Bash worth the ticket price? YES, it gets you into Disney California Adventure 3 pm before the party starts. So take advantage of those extra park hours. Lines for the rides during the event are shorter. You meet villains and other characters that are only available at the party. Trick or treating with immersive treat trails and the Villains Grove area is my favorite party perk. But I don’t think it’s necessary to go every year.
Should I spend all day in the park plus do the party? NO, would be my recommendation. It will be a very long day and night especially for kids. Take the morning to sleep in, play at the pool etc. Then you’ll be nice and rested for the party. Don’t forget to be there early!
When will tickets sell out? Yes they are SOLD OUT!
Can I go to Disneyland at all with this special event ticket? No, this ticket only allows access to Disney California Adventure.
Is a theme park reservation required? No theme park reservation is required for the park mix-in and event with your event ticket.
Well that was a pretty thorough explanation of what is included in the event. If you have questions let me know. Have a BOO tiful time!!!!
For details about all the things Halloween going on this time of year check out this post.
Pin this post to your favorite Disney Halloween board!