Here’s your guide to a rainy day at Disneyland with lots of tips and helpful suggestions. The rain never bothered us anyway! Some of my favorite days at Disney are rainy days! Don’t be afraid to go to the parks when it’s raining. The rain keeps the crowds away, so the lines are shorter! Only a few attractions are closed when it’s actually raining, so you can get a lot done and even walk on some rides! Just go prepared for the rain and enjoy the shorter lines and less people!
What rides are open in the rain?
There aren’t very many rides that close when it’s raining. Here’s a list of what normally closes.
At Disneyland …
- Alice in Wonderland
- Mad Tea Party
- Tom Sawyer‘s Island
- Gadget’s Go Coaster
- Storybook Canal Boats
At Disney’s California Adventure …
- Golden Zephyr
- Goofy’s Sky School
- Luigi’s Rollickin’ Roadsters
- Radiator Racers will close for safety reasons due to weather, but I’ve been on it when it’s sprinkling.
If you want to know what rides are closed check the Disneyland app for the latest information. The app will say temporarily closed next to the ride. (See photo below) And then when the ride reopens you will see a wait time again. The app saves you the trouble of walking all the way over to a ride just to find it closed during the rain. Download the Disneyland app before your trip. Find more Disney app tips here.
If there’s lightning then they DO close all the outdoor attractions!
The parades and other outdoor entertainment is canceled if it rains. Sometimes they will do a modified parade where characters are driven down the parade route in Main Street vehicles. Ask a cast member if any shows are canceled on the day you are there. They will be able to give you current information. Guest services kiosks like this one are good for rainy days!
What should I bring on a rainy day?
Sturdy ponchos are a rainy day essential! If you are looking for a Disney parks poncho you can purchase them in stores throughout the parks. Just ask a cast member if you can’t find any. You don’t have to get a poncho at the park you can bring your own. But you don’t want a flimsy rain poncho that will rip easily. Make sure you get a nice sturdy one that you can wear all day.
Bring an extra pair of socks too! There’s nothing more miserable than walking around in wet shoes. Bring or wear rain boots too if it’s going to be raining a lot. You can always keep them in a locker if you don’t want to carry them around. Lockers are on Main St. in Disneyland, just outside the gates to the west of Disneyland, just inside the gates of Disney California Adventure and outside the gates of DCA to the east.
Another rainy day hack. I always line the inside of my backpack with a large plastic bag. Then I put all the contents of my backpack inside of the plastic bag. That way if my backpack gets wet it doesn’t matter cause the things inside my backpack stay dry!
Things to watch, ride and more on a rainy day
- Ride a long attraction like Pirates and stay out of the rain. For a list of all the indoor attractions in both parks go here.
- Do something you wouldn’t normally do like watch Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, an indoor show. For a list of all the indoor shows in both parks go here.
- Ride on the Incredicoaster and get soaking wet!
- Go inside the Animation Building and explore. Possibly catch a character or two wandering around in the lobby for photos. For a list of all the character meet and greets indoors go here.
- Ride the railroad and see the beautiful park in the rain.
- There are many dining locations with indoor seating too. You can find cover from the rain and grab a bite to eat.
- Visit the Main Street Cinema in Disneyland. Enjoy old Disney cartoons and take cover from the rain.
When it’s raining character meet and greets are limited. The characters that normally wander around Town Square can sometimes be found inside of the Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Building instead. See the photo below.
Also you might catch some characters when it’s raining inside the Animation Building in Disney California Adventure (DCA) wandering around. Plus Mickey and Minnie sometimes hang out when it’s raining inside Kingswell Camera Shop near the entrance of DCA.
Rainy day options with lots of activities for the kids too!
One of the best places to go when it’s raining is at Disney California Adventure inside the Disney Animation Building in Hollywood Land. There are soft, padded benches to rest, you can watch Disney animated movie clips plus….
- You can go to Animation Academy and learn to draw. It’s a fun class every half hour with different characters to draw.
- Socerer’s Workshop is also inside, it’s a walk through area with interactive activities plus the Beast’s library.
- Turtle Talk with Crush show is an interactive show where Crush talks to the audience, it’s very entertaining plus you get a nice cushion seat!
- Plus there is Character Close-up which is a meet and greet with Anna and Elsa!
Make sure you’re following along on Instagram too. I share more tips and information there especially on rainy days.
So next time you see rain in the forecast for your trip do the happy dance and enjoy the parks with less people!
Pin this post for your trip!